Road Cycling Routes – Off Trail
Inverness County is a cyclist’s dream for variety of cycling experiences both on the trail and on our roadways. We have put together a list of day or half day trips you may want to consider. While on an outing, plan to visit one of our many gift & craft shops, grab lunch at our friendly eateries, or take the time to grab a quick swim at one if our fine beaches or rivers.
Please remember that while Nova Scotia has legislated the “one meter” rule, and safe passage of highway traffic around road cyclists is mandatory, it is your responsibility as a cyclist to be cautious of road traffic and conditions, make yourself highly visible and use proper hand signals for approaching traffic.
Check out the map for these ten suggested road route outings:
1) Port Hood to Colindale to West Mabou to Mabou Coal Mines & Return.
2) Whycocomagh to Scotsville to Inverness and Return via West Lake Anslie
3) Inverness to Scotsville to Southwest Margaree to Broad Cove Banks Road Return to Inverness
4) Whycocomagh to Malagawatch to West Bay to Dundee Return.
5) Margaree Centre to Margaree Harbour and return via Margaree Forks
6) Cheticamp to Plateau to St Joseph Du Moine and Return.
7) Bay St. Lawrence to Meat Cove and Return.
8) Cape Clear Look-off via Margaree, St. Joseph Du Moine or Cheticamp. – advisable to use local guides for various routes available.
9) Bornish and St. Margaret of Scotland Pioneer Church via Melford Road. – advisable to use local guides for various routes available.
10) Inverness to Mabou via Cape Mabou – advisable not to cycle on signed “Cape Mabou” hiking trails. These managed trails do not permit cycling due to trail terrain sensitivity.